What do I do if I receive a notice from the IRS about my taxes?
Don’t panic! The first thing to do is carefully read the notice—to determine why it was sent, what the IRS is requesting, and what they want you to do. It may be nothing of importance; it may even be a notice in your favor. After reading it you should bring it to our attention.

What do I need to bring when I am having my taxes prepared?
Following is a list of the more common items you should bring if you have them.
- Wage statements (Form W-2)
- Pension, or retirement income (Forms 1099-R)
- Dependents' Social Security numbers and dates of birth
- Last year's tax return
- Information on education expenses
- Information on the sales of stocks and/or bonds
- Self-employed business income and expenses
- Lottery and/or gambling winnings and losses
- State refund amount
- Social Security and/or unemployment income
- Income and expenses from rentals
- Record of purchase or sale of real estate
- Medical and dental expenses
- Real estate and personal property taxes
- Estimated taxes or foreign taxes paid
- Cash and non-cash charitable donations
- Mortgage or home equity loan interest paid (Form 1098)
- Unreimbursed employment-related expenses
- Job-related educational expenses
- Child care expenses and provider information And any other items that you think may be necessary for your taxes.

How do I find out about my refund?
The best way is to use the Check Your Refund link from the Resources pages of our website! To look up the status of your federal or state refund, you will need your social security number, filing status, and exact amount you’re expecting back.

What college expenses may I

There are several ways you can claim

deductions for college expenses on your tax return. They are

the tuition deduction, the HOPE credit and the Lifetime

Learning Credit. If we are preparing your return we will

determine which ones you qualify for and which one gives you

the greatest tax benefit.

What are the tax consequences of selling a

If you sell your personal residence you

can totally exclude from income up to $250,000 of gain if you

are single, or $500,000 if married, regardless of your age at

the time of the sale—if during the 5 years before the

sale you owned the home and lived in it for a total of any 24

months. The exclusion is not a one-time election; instead it is

available once every 2 years. Recent tax law has adversely

changed the handling of gains on the sale of a home if you

rented the property before you made it your personal residence.

Please contact our office if you believe this situation will

affect you.

How should I keep records for my business

Keep a log in your vehicle and record

the purpose and mileage of each trip. You also need to record

the odometer readings at the beginning and end of each year, as

the IRS will ask you for total miles driven during the year.

Keep your repair bills as these normally record odometer

readings when the car is serviced.

My employer tells me I will receive a 1099. What

does this mean for my taxes?
When you receive

a 1099, it means you are considered an independent contractor.

You will not have any withholding or payroll taxes deducted

from your pay. You should keep track of all business expenses

and a journal of your mileage driven for work. If the amount

you expect to receive is substantial, you should probably be

making estimated tax payments. Please contact us if you have

any questions about this.

I owe the IRS money. What are my


If you can afford to pay the amount you owe, it should be paid. But many times that is not the case. If you cannot afford to pay, you have several options. Ignoring the IRS should not be one of them!